11/3/05

Thursday Morning Library Blogging

It seems that all of my blog activities are now taking place in the library. This means one o two things: 1) I work in the library far too often: I have no other choice than to leave blog entries from the library...2) I write blog entries far too often: I have no other choice than to leave blog entries in the library. But anyway...I am here in the library, bright and early, at 8:30am...don't know why I took this shift... Apparently my grandmother is getting acccustomed to her new surroundings. For those of you who don't know (which is basically everybody, I think, cause I never talk about it) My grandmother recently made the move from her house in Evanston, where she had lived for a very very very long time to a retirement home on the other side of town. This was a very difficult sitiution because she was not ready to move out of her house, but she really needed to for several reason I won't go into. But in recent weeks she has changed from calliing The Mather Place 'The Jail' to calling it 'The Hotel.' I think from looking at the pictures you will agree that it resembles a hotel much more than anything else. According to my mom she is getting her hair and nails done all of the time and she is even insisting on buying high heel shoes...because of course she has to look fashionable in front of the other ladies. And she is also doing Yoga everyday (she even turned down a trip to Nordstrom with my mom to do her yoga)...which means that my grandmother is currently more phisically active than me (which is my fault...ugh...I need to get back to the gym). I had a interesting run in with a certain composer yesterday. I was working in the library (surprise) when a nice old man wanted to use the DVD player in the listening room. I told him where to go, and about 30 minutes later, he came back and told me he couldn't get it to work. I kindly went back nad pressed play for him, and of course, nothing was wrong with the machine. He had a few more troubles including accidentally hitting stop (after which I had to go back an press play for him again since he didn't remember how to do it). It turns out that this nice old man (and he was very very nice) was none other than Robert Ward. Ward is here since there is currently a production of his opera going at Eastman. The performances are this weekend and I plan to go on Friday since everyone in my chamber group is playing except for me!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny Robert Ward story.

I have no choice other than to post comments on your blog entries, Gerstein. I hope you realize that. I do it partly because I want to see what the random verification string is. I am convinced that your blogging software is trying to send me a message. Today the string is "fbobfu". I think that this means "Eat more Tofu". What do you think?

OhMyTrill said...

Word verification can be a very funny thing...mine just now was kktydqt...seems like the name of a pop star or something

sara ballance said...

so does srfsznx mean i should surf while making motorcycle noises?

philosophia said...

Um, Ward up. :)

Anonymous said...

I the person in the library got that wrong, David. They meant to say that there was an evil old man needing help with the DVD player.