11/5/05

Post-Opera (for me)

Yesterday was a fun day. It was fun because a lot of interesting things happened that don't happy everyday. First of all...I got to sleep kind of late, which was nice, because I had been getting up kind of early for various things (such as working in the library). With the whole morning off, I still couldn't will myself to practice, even for a tiny little hour, so I carried my cello over to school and ran into the fabulous Heather Braun. We then proceeded to the pit for lunch. I hadn't been to the pit in about 600 million years. The pit is very different than it was when I was a frequent visitor (for lunch and late-night snacks). In the words of Ethan Borshanksy, "It now appears that the pit is decorated for a junior high school play..." which is strangely appropriate. Lots of musical symbols are plastered all over the walls (as if we need to be reminded that we go to music school...isn't the fact that the two eating areas in the dorm are called The Orchestra Pit and Cadenza Cafe). They also sell all sorts of things that never could be found there before...such as deodorant and other bathroom items...I do remember one time around Easter where you could buy a nice fluffly bunny and right next to it was a stack of No-Doze...hmmmm. but I digress...lunch back in the dorm was very fun, and it was nice to visit with Heather and Mary, and even see Jonathan Ware fora brief moment. Musica Nova proceeded as normal, as well as Phil. Things seem to be sounding pretty good. Varon is getting into his, "you guys sound amazing" phase...which is nice, but a little frustrating at the same time. We really still have a ton to work on in all of the pieces, and he is already dismissing it as being a great concert. Hmmm....But Sam Angelo sounded amazing...good for her! Dim-Sum with lots of people was fun. I need to start eating at the apartment again. I am spending so much money it is not even funny. I have eaten about one meal at the aparment this week, I think. A trip to Wegman's will be required soon. Me and Brian went back to the aparment and engaged in some quick drinking, and then for me it was off to the opera. While I must admit, I didn't really have high hopes for the opera, it was very fun to see all of CCE in the orchestra (except me...) I was reminded of the time last year when all of CCE was in PCO except Kim...strange how the ensembles have never seemed to get us all together in one thing...this year in Musica Nova it was all of us except Heather. Maybe we will still get that concert at some point...but back to the opera. The singers were great...the costumes were great, the set was great...the music was not...the story made almost no sense (however that isn't the worst possible thing for an opera). It was still fun to see...and I am glad I didn't have to play in it. And Robert Ward (who I had a little run-in with) even came up on the stage for a bow. Afterwards it was time to party, so we went to the Old Toad, had some drinks, had some food. Went back to my apartment, had some more drinks...got an email from Brad informing me and Kimberly that we will be playing in the next Musica Nova concert. This most likely means we will both be in double rotation...since the Phil piece is Bartok Concerto for Orchestra and we both want to play it. At least that rotation is very short. And as a sidenote...Lauren informed Brad that there was a picture of him posted on this very blog...which was a little bit awkward for me...but whatever...it was kind of funny too. RPO audition on Monday...I want it to be over so I can practice music that I need to practice. Ugh...

No comments: