11/14/05

No Orchestra=Productivity

Well...things really work much better when you don't have to play in orchestra. As I mentioned in previous posts, I was passed over for the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra (well, I'm actually just rotated out...) and this week in Musica Nova we are only rehearsing the Brakel, which I am not playing in. So, where I was expecting to have double rotation, I actually have no rotation!! The things I can do...there is such a sense of possibility! I stopped in at Java's before rep class, and low and behold...Rep Class was at Java's! What a surprise. I sat down and chatted with Kathy, Carrie, and Hannah, mostly about the audition last week. Jason Wang was the deserving winner of 4th chair cello in the RPO. Kathy said that it was very obvious that he would get the job, since he was the only one who really nailed everything. Turns out I was in the very 'difficult to advance' room...only one person advanced out of the 27 of us...and that one person was Jason. So apparently they know how to pick them. Kathy's panel was a little bit more forgiving and they advanced 8...so out of the 57 cellists who showed up for the audition, only 9 people were permitted to play in the second round...that is pretty slim pickings. As a reward for doing the audition, I didn't have to play in class today!! This afternoon consisted of getting recommendation forms together. I went to the computer lab and started printing out all of the forms I need. December 1st is in sight, and I am starting to flip out about grad applications. The first step is making sure everyone has the materials to write recommendations for me. Bought folders and put stamps in them, along with the forms/instructions, and a list of addresses to send them to! Dave and Elinor are doing most of them, but I still need a 3rd generous person (who also likes me and my playing) to write the 3rd...who should I ask? Looks like I will be recording at a professional place after all. There are just no rooms available at the school this weekend (that are appropriate for recording) so Erik is out of the picture. I was totally flipping out when Robert from Black Dog Studios called me! Apparently East End isn't really in business anymore and they gave him my number. It will be VERY expensive, but I feel prepared right now (which is more than I can say for any recordings I have made in the past 6 years!) so I don't think it will be a waste of money. Looks like Saturday will be an early day, since I signed up for 8am!!! Hope that my fingers work then! Time for more practice and CCE rehearsal (first of many this week!)...I love all of this free time!

No comments: