11/27/05

Sunday Afternoon Library Blogging: Festive Cold

So its time to get back to reality...and of course by reality I mean not reality at all. The next three weeks are going to be crazy as shit, and I mean that. With finishing Grad Apps by this Thursday (which includes writing several essays as well as recording a Popper Etude {why am I so bad at these?}) as well as Perle day (translation: tomorrow) things are going to be busy in the coming days...add to that a linguistics final, several gigs (courtesy of Gigqueen Heather) and a Musica Nova concert which includes the crazy/impossible Messagequisse for 7 cellos...should be interesting! In other news, my apartment is as clean as it ever has been. I took another night off from seeing people and spent it running around my apartment and doing laundry. I bought a large peppermint candle (which you can now see in my flickr photos) and changed the traditional blue futon cover, to a bright holiday red one...and of course I was listening to the Nutcracker...I don't know what put me in such a holiday mood, but I also set up the fake Christmas tree that the former residents left in the apartment. Maybe I am trying to make up for the lake of Holiday "mood" here in Rochester. In Chicago everything was covered in lights and everybody was out shopping for holiday gifts...I come back to Rochester and its just cold...at least at home its a festive sort of cold. I also took in a movie last night: Citizen Ruth, starring the fabulous Laura Dern...I fell in love with her when I first saw Wild at Heart, and then after that revisited Blue Velvet and loved it (where I previously hated it...) She needs to be in more movies...a lot more. But she is amazing as usual in Citizen Ruth, an abortion comedy (hmmmm...) I thought it was a fun enough movie...they really "overdid" each side of the debate (religious right vs. normal people) but I couldn't help but notice that the way the religious right was portrayed is exactly how they are (at least these days) and the way the Pro-Choice people were portrayed was very untrue (they were all gay and lesbian...) It was a very smart movie and very relevant today, especially with its ending message...make sure you see it. I am also now torn between this and Sideways as my favorite Payne movie...Laura vs. Virginia...{sigh}

No comments: