11/18/05

OhMyTrill vs. The Recording...Part 1

I have officially survived the first two hours of recording for grad-school prelim tapes. I can't say that the experience was exactly pleasant. Starting practicing at around 11 or so and stayed at school practicing until 2:30 when I had rehearsal with Tania. Took a break after that and then walked over to Black Dog Studios, which is actually on the same block as Eastman, hidden in a back alley (aka Swan Street). The facility is nice enough and the guy is certainly nice. However, my playing didn't follow the trend. Its just so annoying because I know that it can't sound that bad, but I feel like after close to three years of working on the Dvorak Concerto, I should be able to play it twice and get a take that would be good enough to put on a tape...unfortunately that was not the case. I'm sure after another hour to spend on the Dvorak and Rochberg I will get something that is presentable. Tomorrow morning at 8am is when I record a Popper Etude for the first time...definitely not looking forward to that. Ugh. Recording is kind of an out of body experience. I know that my body is playing the cello, but I only hear the mistakes that are flying by...I really need to just perform rather than think about what is going wrong...sometimes that is very hard. Kimberly's recital was a major success! I think she had quite a lot of people there...an especially strong showing from the cello studio {ahem} and there was even one violist there (that I saw...). I especially liked a piece by David Plylar for viola, clarinet, and oboe. Yay for Kimberly! She is the first one of CCE to be done...and one of the first people in our class to have done their recital! Heather had the genius idea of picking up flowers...I had totally forgotten about it, but me and Kitty chipped in and they became "Love CCE" Wouldn't it be fun to have an "I Heart CCE" logo? And I didn't get a horrible time for recital picking! They lumped all the BM's and PC's together, so I am actually on the second day! That means I will get a time in Kilbourn...and probably a pretty good one too! This makes me happy! This also means I can officially stop complaining about PC related things and always getting last in concert office lottery.

No comments: