11/24/05

PSH wins me over?

I'm sure most of you (or at least some of you) know about my extreme dislike for Philip Seymour Hoffman. I have seen him in a few movies...movies that I really really enjoy, but the man drives me nuts. I can't shake the fact that he is just always so proud of himself in every role...I always want to slap him...so frustrating. But the reason I bring this up is because I saw Capote this morning. I was really expecting to like the film and hate his performance. Now, I haven't read much about this movie, or his perf, but this was probably one of the most enjoyable performances by an actor I have ever seen. And I really wanted to hate it. I thought the movie would focus on the fabulous performance by PSH and just showcase him for the amazingness that he thinks he is...however, the movie does not do this. This is probably the best movie I have seen this year...the full package: cinematopgraphy (if you are into barren Kansas landscape), screenplay (partial adaptation of novel, partial biopic) acting (PSH...)...really theo nly part where things went wrong was the end, where things start to get a bit cheesball (well...more than a bit). PSH really pulls of this film. He makes a truly eccentric character feel real...he does the voice (you kind of get over it after the first 10 mins or so) and does the mannerisms...thats all well and good...however, on top of these things, he really gives a performance. He shows the turn from indifference (using the murderes as bait for book) to his true feelings (falling for the murderer...oops)...perhaps I should go back and re-evalute the work PSH has done in the past {although I really think its pretty bad...Capote is a stand-alone work} We should probably resign the oscar to PSH, he most likely deserves it for the perf, unless somebpdy else comes along...don't really see it happening though [we will see] Sidenote: Saw the trailer for Brokeback Mountain=so excited Other Sidenote: I may have watched four episodes of Desperate Houswives...I Heart Bree (more later)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I should see Capote, I think...but I saw Harry Potter yesterday, which was good, and there was a preview for King Kong with your favorite sexy blonde. :)

rabsteen said...

OoOOO i await it's canadian arrival!