11/17/05

Annoying

So, we were sitting in linguistics, and after about 10 minutes, the TA comes in to tell us that the teacher is sick and there wont be class. I wish that she could have sent an email so we didn' have to take the bus all the way over to U of R!! We got out early enough to catch the 2:21 bus, and as we got on, the bus driver told us that we should wait for the next bus, because it is direct and would get us there waaay before his. So we didn't get on the bus (which had no people on it...by the way). However, I am sitting in the computer lab at U of R right now, because there is no bus that comes after his. I have to wait for the 3:17 bus. I could be back at the apartment by now, making something to eat and getting some practicing in...but no, the bus driver needed to have an empty bus for some reason...ugh, soo frustrating. I guess Tania is going to come tomorrow rather than early on Saturday for recording. I think this makes more sense because I probably wouldn't be able to play Dvorak at 8am in any way that would be acceptable for a recording. This way we will rehearse for a while, then go straight to recording (with a small break). And I will be able to have somebody there to make sure that it sounds ok. Hmmm...still kind of nervous about how things will turn out...oog. The section of Rochberg that we need to record is even smaller than I expected! Only up through the very quiet things, I guess its about 7mins in total, but it doesn't have very contrastive playing within that time, so it should be fine for the "two contrasting movements" requirement on the tapes. My latest music obsession is Worker's Union (as you can see at the left). Musica Nova is actually playing this piece next semester, and the composer will be at the concert! I hope I get to participate in at least one of the pieces being performed! It was very fun to play Secret Theatre for Birtwistle last year! I was talking to Lauren and she said that they might need to change the Phil rehearsals for the piece they are playing (Passione) because Andriessen needs to take a nap everyday at 5:00pm. Interesting/hilarious. The Ossia concert went pretty well last night. I have to admit that I was not very into it at all! The Schoenberg 2nd chamber symphony is a fine piece, but I really just don't find it very interesting. I think I like any other composition by Schoenberg much much better. I didn't hear the Webern/Donatoni/Borshansky set, but I'm sure it went quite well. How could it not with superstars such as Paul Miller, Sara Ballance, and Mary Counts? My favorite piece on the concert was the very last one, by Rzewski. It was very minimal, but I'm kind of listening to that stuff right now, so I liked it a lot!!! I think I may get the recording on itunes. I came back to my apartment after the concert I realized that I left my scented candle burning for the entire Ossia concert! I could have burned down the entire building! Good thing I didn't!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you had accidentally burned down the building, I'm sure we would have all come together to help out.

OhMyTrill said...

thank you paul!

Anonymous said...

allright so even though I am going through a kind of anti-minimalist stage right now, I admit that I am not totally against it. I do kind of like a lot of Nixon, and there are a few steve reich things I like, for instance the music for 18 thing, and the music for large ensemble, and I do really actually like the Shaker Loops piece by Adams. The Adams chamber concerto is really great and I like his violin concerto too. And I even liked Short Ride in a Fast Machine enough that I actually bought the score to it about 10 years ago. I still can't stand a lot of Phillip Glass though, unless I am in a seriously mentally deranged state (and how often does THAT happen?!?!) In fact, you may be amazed to know that I even wrote a piece in minimalist style back when I was an undergraduate, whereupon I declared to my friends that I had "mastered the style". OK, so I am pretty much full of crap, but we knew that already...

rabsteen said...

blog is looking cooler! good job. when a prof misses a lecture simply divide your tuition by the number of classes and send them the bill.

;)

philosophia said...

My favorite Rzewski piece is "The People United Colors of Benetton Will Never Be Defeated". :)

philosophia said...

Why do I feel that I've written that comment before on your blog...?!