1/17/06

Brokeback revisited

I'm not really sure what it is about Brokeback Mountain that makes it such an amazing movie. Its really a simple story that is beautifully told. Every tiny nuance is there to make it a spectacular movie. It was interesting to watch it after only one day of Western class...I love how Jack is always wearing a black hat and Ennis is always wearing a white one...is this to imply that Jack is the "bad guy" in some way? I love how the camera always seems to know what to focus on and always manages to do it with such beauty and grandeur. I love how Roberta Maxwell (as Jack's mom) manages to convey so much even though she utters about three lines. I love how Michelle Williams lays low for most of the movie and then suddenly explodes to steal the scene (and the movie!). But most of all I love Anne Hathaway and her final monologue on the phone to Ennis with the small emotional gulps so perfectly executed...the best performance in the movie. See it now...It won the globe...it will win the Oscar...movie of the year.

No comments: