2/14/06

Sweeney

Alison gave me a recording of the new Sweeney Todd currently on Broadway. Sweeney Todd is easily my favorite musical and I have grown to love the recording with the NY Phil and Patti Lupone/George Hearn. Patti Lupone sticks around for the new production where characters double as the orchestra...a newish trend (I think). At first these strange reductions (which are mostly piano) seemed empty, but after hearing more of it, it does kind of work. The show has been re-imagined as a continuous piece that just flows from beginning to end. While the singing and playing is at a MUCH higher level on the NY Phil recording, I really want to see this show. I have only heard raves about it...maybe I should look into next time I'm in NYC...

2 comments:

philosophia said...

Um, Sweeney Blog...

OhMyTrill said...

whatever that means...