10/23/05

Sunday Morning/Afternoon Library Blogging

Again I am sitting here in the library on a gorgeous Sunday morning. Just ran into Sara and she told me that there is a large group of people protesting outside...apprently they are not happy with the new president of the univeristy, who is being confirmed or whatever today. I honestly know nothing about him, except that he is a lawyer. He sounds like he will be fine to me. Last night there was a tiny CCE gig for a class of '75 reunion at U of R...there was this one guy, you know the type that never seemed to get over college, who comes in a loudly prclaims, "Class of '75!!!!" And everybody in the room is kind of like, "ugh...I can't believe that he is here again..." He had a very very loud voice and could constatnly be heard saying something that wasn't very important...however, after somebody was making some sort of speech, he starting questioning him about the new president, which seemed kind of out of place at a class reunion, when the man speaking wasn't really talking about the new president that much...and that is the only reason that I know that the new president is a lawyer...so there. Eventually they went around the room and tolkd everybody where they were and what they were doing...and that cut out about an hour of our playing time...we just sat on the side and ate dinner...no complaints here! I have had this realization recently that there is a huge amount of stuff happening in the not so distant future. College applications are due at the beginning of December, and at that same time pre-screen tapes need to be sent...that means that tapes must be recorded very soon...probably by the middle of november, which is a little under a month. This is a bit scary...I should probably take a little stroll over to East End Recording Studios and set up a time some time this week, so I have a goal in mind to have everything ready by. I will need to record 1st mvt of Dvorak as well as Prelude and Sarabande of Bach Dm...neither of which should be a big deal...Dvorak has been under my fingers since as far back as summer before freshman year and the Bach dates back to summer before seinor year of high school...and a tiny bit of recording "help" never hurt anybody!! Right now the schools I am planning on applying to are as follows: 1st choice: Rice or Juilliard...2nd Choice: NEC, Mannes...Unsure about application: Northwestern, Eastman...pretty sure about no application: Depaul. There are some interesting possibilities here...I really dont want to go anywhere but Rice or Juilliard...I guess Mannes can substitute for Juilliard, since its in NYC and has many of the same teachers, and I think NEC is a bit a of peer pressure audition, I wouldn't really like it very much, but they do have some pretty good teachers...and Northwestern is kind of an easy audition, and I could also audition for Civic, and take a little visit at home...and Eastman would be the failsafe...which maybe I should just do becuase there is no really amazing reason not to. There could be $$$ involved. It turns out that all of CCE is most likely auditioning at Rice, which could be very interesting, depending on how things turn out...of course we will all get in with full scholarships + stipends, which will make staying together much easier!!! Haha...but we can worry about that if it happens...I know everybody has their own interests at heart, which they should. Two things could happen: CCE will end up spread all over the enitre world (Germany, Boston, England, Hong Kong, Africa, Mexico City etc...) and then we will rejoin and win over the world, or we could all go to Rice and be scared of Houston. And of course Insulation Device fits into the equation somewhere...but that is another story entirely. Another thing to worry about is the upcoming RPO audition. I really feel that I have no chance of getting the job, and a very small chance of even getting past the first round. However, even though I have been having many second thoughts, I turned in the application + check anyways and now I have to go through with it if I want my $50 back. I need to start practicing excperpts like nobody's business...I think I will steal a chair from school so I have a good one at my apartment...maybe if I have a good chair I will practice more. I have run into this strange dilemma...after I practiced in the apartment once, I couldn't really go back, but now I can't really practice at the apartment either...I have had tons of time to practice, but just can't go through with it...ugh...I'm sure the chair will fix everything. Anyway...CCE resumes rehearsal tonight of the glorious Quartet No. 8 by George Perle...a masterwork of the modern era...but anyway, things were starting to pick up a bit after falll break, I think now with a more constant rehearsal pattern, we will finally break through the surface and learn this thing. We have to perform it for the ocmposers in a little over a month...which will be scary and fun all at the same time! And the public market is a nice place, even when it is cold and raining. And the White Sox are in the world series and thay won the first game last night. And good luck to Fim in the viola audition today. And I have been writing this entry for a long time. And we need to watch Blue Velvet sometime (Alison...I know)... And the end... And your mom...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And good luck to me! Oh, the audition is over already...

philosophia said...

This is one of my favorite blog entries I've ever read! :)

You rock, OhMyTrill.