10/18/05

I Heart NYC: The Full Story

NYC trip was a blast...here is a recap. Saturday: woke up at 5:15am to catch my early flight into Lagaurdia...Laura's public transit directions took me to Manhattan by bus and subway and soon enough I was meeting up with friends. Took a bit of a walk through Central Park and up Broadway on the upper west side, then hpped on a subway up to 151 to see Marka and her new baby: Benjamin! I of course lost the address and phone number I was supposed to call so I sat in a little park until I saw a tall man carrying a viola emerge, so I knew that was the place. Kimberly had been having a lesson with him (he teaches in Switzerland). We then had tea and chatted with Marka and baby and dog, attempted a walk, went back in. After coffee and cookies me and Kimberly left, hopped back on the subway and proceeded to the first round of H+M shopping...I just looked, Kimberly bought. Ate dinner at a random pizza place then went down to 14th street to meet Rebecca and company. They were late, so we explored a bit, endedup at the Virgin Megastore...I bought an ipod case for only $7!!! Met up with Saucy, Mike Matlock, Mara, and a Rossi friend and proceeded to Brooklyn to a club called Galapagos. We go in and a bunch of women are lying on the stage dressed all in white with creepy mood music going on...eventually they start moving very slowly. Went on for a while...I was a bit wierded out...but it seemed like a fun place. I talked to Laura later and she said that she has played there doing contemporary music before and that it is a very "in" place to go! By that time I was basically dead and I made my way back and crashed (the others stayed on to hear two Eastman groups: Thought and Jerseyband...I hear it was very fun!) Sunday: Practiced in the morning...then headed out to Fred Sherry's apartment for my lesson! I thought it went well...played the first movement of ligeti (went ok...not the best) but he seemed to like it a lot. Played a tiny bit of the second as well as tiny bits of Bach dm and Dvorak. He just wanted to get a sense of me, I guess. He went on to show me his warm-ups...which include improving scales out of order, gradually building chormatic scales adding one note at a time with very orginized fingerings, and shifting to notes in a 12-tone row constructed in your head. It all seemed pretty cool to me!! I want to go to Juilliard to study with him more than ever!! He had another student coming in...his only at Mannes, so I went back downtown to meet up with Kimberly and Jeffrey. Went with Jeffrey to H+M again...this time I bought two sweaters, some cords, and a scarf...all very exciting! Met up with Kimberly and American Girl place...ugh...and we three proceeded back downtown to Aldo Liquidation...many shoes were bought. Back uptown for dinner with Diane at Shun Lee...very good chinese food! Then me and Kimberly wandered the streets till a late hour at which we both went our seperate ways and went to sleep. Monday: Went for another walk by myself...wanted to see Bethsda Fountain...ended up going all the way to the Guggenheim and back! Then walked back up to 66th and met Kimberly and Jeffrey, went up to 80 and had lunch at a place on Diane's recommendation...was very fun. Kimberly and I proceeded downtown to Soho and walked the streets/shopped...I bought another jacket/sweater thing, green this time. Went to two more H+M's which were across the street from each other. Decided to keep walking and ended up and ground zero, which I had never seen before. Not much going on...its kind of just a big open space...which I guess is what I expected. Back on the subway to Chinatown, met up with Jeffrey, Kimberly, Caitlin, and Anton and had dinner in Little Italy...which is engulfed by Chinatown. There is only little street full of Italian restaurants with guys in front trying to get you to go in! Food wasn't amazing, but was worth eating for sure. Caitlin left us after dinner and we met up with Saucy who took us on a tour of her haunts downtown. A bar next to Katz's deli, Bar on A, a hooka bar (!), and finally a coffee house in Greenwich Village. All very fun, and by the time we were at the coffee house, I realized I had been walking almost all day since 10am...and I got sooooo tired, and hardly even knew what was going on anymore. I am still kind of recovering. Tuesday: Met up with Caitlin and took in a bit of the Met museum. Always interesting...you could spend a lifetime there! Went for lunch at the cafeteria (which is a step above most...Caitlin had grilled slamon!) then spent some time in the gift shop...which everyone knows is just as, if not more important than the museum itself. I bought a Pollack mousepad...it was on sale. Went down to Herald square...and took in my 4th H+M of the trip...my 5th overall visit. I was kind of shopped out by that point, and was still having some trouble keeping myself upright from the day before so I took it easy while Caitlin found something to wear to the Met...she is seeing (or maybe has already seen) Aida tonight. Trip back to LGA was a bit exciting (involving a random man yelling at my soon to be cab driver for not wanting to take me) and a phone call from the fabulous L. Rad...asking me to play Popper Duo with her...in concert...and Carnegie Hall...well, maybe it was just a gig. but anyway...I am back in Rochester...and I wish I was still in NYC. I really really really want to go to school there after this trip...so I hope that everything works out (ie...if I get it I can get enough money to justtify going there) The only way to be sure of this is to practice!!!!!!! (although Fred Sherry did give me some pointers for the audition!) Tomorrow starts massive studying for Linguistics midterm...I hope I survive it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NYC! i miss it! by the way, no one wants to see that heinous picture of me...