10/21/05

Movies a lot

Yesterday was the linguistics midterm. I spent all morning studying...the most I have studying in a very long long time. The test went ok, although there were some things I just didn't know at all. But I did know a lot of it...spectrograph stuff was a bit sketchy...seemed insane for her to put that on when those things are so hard to read and the only time we had one for an assignment was when the computer found all of the information for us...but I'm not complaining...anyways After the test I entered movie watching phase...there were several movies from netflix waiting to be watched, so I grabbed Blade Runner as I went over to work in the library. Yes, we can watch movies (don't worry, I catually did do quite a bit of work also). Blade Runner is about a future Los Angeles that has become a dump of a place to live (since most respectable humans have moved to an 'offworld colony'). A company has been making robot people, known as replicants, and some of these have gone astray and killed some people, so of course, they must be caught (replicants are not legal on Earth). The movie is very interesting, with one spectacualr scene. It goes on the principal that in the future we will go back to some old form of architecture, since all of the buildings seem to be pyramids and everyone dresses in a somewhat old fashioned way, but it works for the movie. The movie functions as a noir-sci-fi, a crime caper with computers basically. I watched the Director's Cut, which as Brian knows, I hate doing. There is usually a good reason all of that stuff was cut from the original...DC's are usually long and clunky and involve many things that none of us ever wanted to see. This DC was a bit different, although I still have seen the original cut, the difference here seems to be that the DC is shorter: they cut out some narration etc...The movie is a bit long and clunky, minimal detecive work brings Harrison Ford (who is horribly miscast in the role) to the replicants very easily, and they usually die in a few short seconds. The most interesting part of the revolves around his relationship with a replicant, who doesn't know she is a replicant. The best shot in the movie happens to be her first entrance, in a huge pyramid building with the sun in the background, an owl flies by. Its really great. However, the movie doesn't match up to the scene. Blade Runner (1982)...85% Upon returning from the library me and Brian watched the Phantom of Liberty...a truly insance movie. This movie is a classic in a strange way...following no storyline or even a single character. It is a series of short perplexing situations that come from nowhere and go nowhere. For instance: a family is missing their daughter, so they take their daughter into the police so they know what they are looking for...the police even ask if they can take her with to make finding her easier...another: some people sit down at a dining room table on a bunch of toilets and chat as they are "going," then, one by one, they retreat to a small room, lock the door, and eat their dinner. Its a truly insance movie, and at the end me and Brian were like, "what?!?!?" But it is the stuff I love, so it know has a special place in my movie world. Haha. The Phantom of Liberty (1974)...90% In other news...I received my copy of Blue Velvet, a movie I used to hate, but now I love. From the crazy mind of David Lynch...its all about finding an ear in a field and some sort of murder mystery craziness...very dark and distrubing, but a classic nonetheless! We should have a viewing soon!

2 comments:

sara ballance said...

i kind of want to see Phantom of Liberty now...

Anonymous said...

Do you mean insane or really insance?