10/12/05

Boulez=Badass

I need to start working. Yesterday, when I could have been practicing a great deal I was doing other things instead. Such as hanging out with Lauren, Kimberly, and Sara at dim-sum and then later at Lauren's apartment until 1am...this was fun, but not really the best way to be spending my time. Laurne broke out her Boulez DVD collection, yes, she has one, and we watched Boulez conduct Concerto for Orchestra, with Lauren adding in her two cents every so often..."He's the man!" or "Why is he such a badass?!?!?!" Also listened to a piece called Industry for cello and distortion...very fun. Yesterday was the last class for my Leadership Issues in Music with Dean Undercofler. I will miss this class a great deal. I wrote one of the most flattering reviews of a course and its instructor that I ever have, even though the class is still being developed and could use a little bit more structure. It was so great to be able to work with Undercofler, if even for a short time, and get to know all about what he has done in his life and what he has done for Eastman. For instance, did you know that he founded Musica Nova? But anyway, the class will be dearly missed and everyone should take it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought that Walter Hendl founded Musica Nova.

OhMyTrill said...

Paul...Undercofler's Wind Quintet went by the name of musica nova...that group became what we now know as musica nova and I'm sure Hendl had a lot to do with it. As did Undercofler.

sara ballance said...

it was fun to see you yesterday, though. work is overrated :-P

sara ballance said...

i can't see the picture on your latest entry... it won't let me leave a comment there either.