10/25/05

Edward

There are a few movies where everyone involved just seemed to get everything right. Last night, when I was working an extra four hour shift at the wonderful Sibley music library, I decided to take in a movie (I know...I was supposed to be working!) so I went back to the DVD shelf and came out with Edward Scissorhands. I have seen this movie once on TV...Wasn't horribly impressed, but it kind of is a classic, so I took in another viewing. Everything in this movie just clicks...A modern fairytale that seems to have happened some time ago, the funny take on suburban life (every house a pretty shade of pastel with a matching car...The choreography of all of the husbands leaving for work in the morning)...The shocking contrast of the cute neighborhood and the giant castle looming above it etc etc...This movie boasts two great performances...One from Diane Wiest, who portrays an Avon lady that takes in the man with scissors for hands and the other is Johnny Depp, who portrays Edward...Probably one of his most memorable roles. This is the best Tim Burton that I have seen, and boasts one of the most classic scores from Danny Elfman...Its a shame that Burton has gone astray recently...With movies like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the Corpse Bride...He is just remaking something he or somebody else did...But you can find the try Burton in movies like Edward...Where his storytelling is in top form. And who can forget the image of Winona Ryder dancing in the snow created by Edward's massive ice-sculpture...Classic. Edward Scissorhands (1990)...101%

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying the fact that your blog is now becoming a critque site for movies you have recently watched.

OhMyTrill said...

who are you anonymous?