8/14/05

Confederacy of Dunces

I am finally at home!!! Last night was the final orchestra concert at Banff...nothing spectacualr, but we made it through the music. One thing I am not happy about is the fact that I know have to deal with dial-up internet...it was very nice to have free high-speed in my room at Banff. There was a reception with free wine and cheese after the concert (they usually have them after the big concerts) which everyone went to. Said good-bye to Maggie, Laszlo, and Angela, since they were leaving for Calgary right away. Also said bye to Aryn, who left directly after the concert!! Sad! Left the reception and finished packing, which didn't take long. Somehow my roommate got a hold of the leftover's from Donna's Chopin party and he ran off with them...I never really talked to him the entire time at Banff...oh well. After packing I went back to Props for a while, said bye to Kati...my stand partner, and also talked to Sonia and Cordelia for a while. Went to sleep a bit early...but I was anxious to get everything over with! Missed saying bye to Steven, who must have been preocupied with taking care of his nieces, who were visiting him. Went into town this morning to pick up a treat for my parents and magnets for everybody. Got a block of maple fudge (only to find out my parents don't like fudge, or maple) and some choclates shaped like maple leaves. They were not excited about either gift, so I guess I will have to eat them...oh well. I got up too early and everything was closed in Banff, so I kind of just wandered around for a while, had a latte at Starbucks, got what I needed, then went back for last minute packing. I was on the shuttle with Donna and Fred...very funny since we played the Brahms trio together a few weeks ago. Donna was annoyed that we never got paid, but she brought chocolate covered pretzels for the ride to the airport. And then the fun begins. I get to the airport at 1:30, for my 3:30 flight. I check in and the guy is like, there are problems in Chicago, so you aren't leaving until 5:30. I'm like whatever. However, in Clagary you do customs before you get to the states, so you are in this little area that doesn't have very much stuff in it. I got some poutine, last chance for a while, which wasn't very good. Then took a nap and read until we finally boarded at 5:45. We get on the plane and the pilot is like, "sorry for the delay...turns out somebody drove a luggage cart into the plane and caused a big dent, so we had to wait for another plane in Chicago to be ready." Everyone was like, "ummmmm...." Then we are sitting on the plane forever in Calgary. And the pilot comes on after a while and is like, "Sorry for the delay, but all the flights in Calgary are grounded right now...we are waiting for some migratory birds to clear the vicinity of the airport." And everybody is like, "ummmmmm..." And we finally take off...note I was supposed to be in Chicago by this time, but whatever. Flight was fine enough. We land and we are sitting there forever and the pilot comes on and is like, "We can't find anybody to drive the jetway, so we are trying to find one." After a while they just decided to use the stairs, since I guess they couldn't find anybody, in all of Ohare airport to drive a jetway 2 feet to a plane. Whatever. Now I am at home, and I will be going to sleep shortly!! yay!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"we are waiting for some migratory birds to clear the vicinity of the airport"...

Wow, the pilot's version of a cow on the tracks.