For those of you wondering...I am back in Houston now...have been for a few days...and its cold here...I keep accidentally wearing my checker scarf with my checker shoes...oops...I think I'm going to not play in studio today...mainly because I feel kind of tired and won't play well...that means I have to next week...or else...I think I will get a haircut today.
- Sunday is a travel day...but my flight leaves Chicago at 6:30am...which puts me back in Houston at 9:12am...leaving plenty of time to practice and run errands alls day...and then collapse around 7pm (since I will have gotten up somewhere in the vicinity of 4am...yikes)
- I return to teaching at La Porte (on Monday) and Cinco Ranch (on Thursday)...I've been playing a few gigs lately and have had to cancel (which is both good and bad...)
- Studio Recital on Monday night...I'm playing the entire Carter Sonata...which will be very interesting...I really love the piece, but its a work out and Patti and I haven't played it since I left for Thanksgiving break...obviously.
- Studio Party on Monday night...nuff said.
- Hilary's Flute Recital is Saturday at 3pm...I'm playing continuo...again...come if you wanna laugh at me. And hear a good flute recital.
- The Contemporary Music Practicum concert is Sunday Night at 7:30pm...hear some pretty good pieces by real composition majors and some 'interesting' pieces by performance majors...it is also my acting debut...
Project Runway: I have to admit, I kind of heart Elisa...even from the first challenge when her dress was a total train wreck (as M. Kors said)...it was nice to see her go from almost being the first one auf'ed to almost winning! Yikes! I guess Victoya's was good too...but I just don't like her right now for some reason...I didn't like her metallic flower dress either (from the last episode) that the judges were all drooling over...seems like she will be sticking around for a while. My favorite right now is Chris March...he's kind of hiding in the "I don't get kicked off, but they also never say anything about my dresses" territory right now...so it seems like he'll be around for at a few episodes.I'm kind of obsessed with David Lynch and Pedro Almodovar right now...I've watched Inland Empire, Twin Peaks Season 2, Volver, and Talk To Her in the past two weeks...and they are all amazing...I really need to go back and fill in some Almodovar gaps...he is such an amazing writer and his movies never go exactly where you expect them to (and always put the audience in a unique position...aka...should we like the main character or not?)...see Talk To Her and look at the main character Benigno for a prime example.
I've actually been doing some pretty good practicing since I've been here...not a ton of time...but I've been getting some things done...which is what I need to be doing. The last three pages of the Duarte-Lopez are pretty crazy in a tongue-twister fast notes/rhythm kind of way...but my fingers are slowly but surely figuring out where they need to be. For those of you who are keeping track I'm playing the entire Carter Sonata at our studio recital on Monday night, then the Duarte-Lopez in studio on Tuesday, and hopefully the Plylar at my lesson on Wednesday...in other words...its a big cello week for me (not to mention all of the orchestra music that I need to know really well...ouch).
Orch Rep midterm went about as well as it could have gone yesterday...of course, Mendelssohn was the worst of the four pieces...as expected...I got a very mixed review with a really good compliment and some much expected criticism. Orchestra was a bit rocky yesterday...the first reading of the Stranivksy Danses Concertantes could have used a little more rhythm and counting...but there was only one conductor storm out...so things will probably be better after the Thanksgiving Break!
Speaking of which...I leave in a few hours...couldn't really find someone to drive me so I'm driving myself to the airport (for the first time!) Yikes...the parking won't cost too much...about the same if I took the shuttle...and its much more convenient!
- There is nothing quite like a Monday morning Orchestral Repertoire midterm, is there? I missed to real one a few weeks ago and my make-up is tomorrow morning. I'm sure it will be amazing, especially since the teacher is pissed at me right now...and I can't play Mendelssohn Scherzo anyway (for those of you keeping track its some random Suppe Overture Solo + Don Juan + Brahms 2...nothing new...just stuff I suck at).
- Project Carter Movement 4: Patti and I will attempt to begin to put together the 4th movement of the Carter Sonata...that will be interesting...its pretty freakish on paper, but maybe it will be a lot easier to put together than it seems? Maybe not...Some of Carter may be played in Studio Class on Tuesday (we had a GREAT lesson on the 3rd movement the other day)
- Chamber Orchestra continues...aka more Christmas music. We start the Stravinsky "Dances Concertantes" with Larry on Monday.
- Tuesday is lobowell's birthday...its a special day indeed.
- Strangely enough Wednesday is plyply's birthday.
- This week is Thanksgiving...I'm flying home on Tuesday evening (and missing orch rep...one of the reasons said prof is pissed at me...hmmm)
- I expect the highlight of the week to be Project Runway on Wednesday...I'll be watching it with my mom for the first time! I picked Chris (big Chris) to win this one...I thought his dress was amazing last week...but they just advanced him to the next round with no commentary...I'm sure he'll be up there with the best in the next few episodes.
- Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite, if not my favorite holiday. There is just a certain feeling that I have when I think about the whole day leading up to the meal...everybody is around the house...cooking doing whatever...hard to explain, but it just doesn't really happen on other days. I was just at home a few weeks ago, but I'm looking forward to the break (since I'm kind of wiped out from Beaumont this past week).
- I'm gonna learn Plylar's "Duel Intentions" and Duarte-Lopez's "Ekphrasis" while I'm at home...my preview is really soon!
- Back in Houston early early early Sunday morning...yikes!
My future new music ensemble (right now referred to as Cape Cod of Context) is also in the brainstorming/planning stages of our first concert/performance...sometime in May or June...I think we need to figure out a concept before we pick rep...there is a ton of work to be done though and May will be here faster than we ever expected...
I'm doing Beaumont Symphony all week which means I'll be in Beaumont, TX from 7-10 and won't get back to Houston until 12 or so...so I'll be watching the midnight replay. Beaumont is...interesting. It would be a lot better if it wasn't so far away...we left at 5 yesterday and arrived in Beaumont just in time to walk right in and start rehearsing at 7...and then its a little under an hour and a half on the way back. Yikes. But, there is a check at the end...so its all worth it, right?
Masterclass with Trio con Brio Cophenhagen also went really well...we brushed up in two short rehearsals and did the first movement of the Schumann D Minor Trio. They actually had some good things to say, although the cellist didn't really say anything to me! Oh well...I guess I could have asked something...but we did already perform it...so, yeah...
- I'm playing in the Symphony of Southeast Texas this week (aka Beaumont). Beaumont is very far away...like over an hour and a half...rehearsals on Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday...concert on Saturday. Should be a blast! (since I get a check at the end).
- I'm starting a new job in La Porte on Monday morning...a cello sectional at 7:30am and then 4 students. I'm not very happy about the starting time...but I am happy about having a job.
- Trio Baggins is playing in a chamber music masterclass on Monday for Trio con Brio...I'm not exactly sure who they are, but we get to play in their masterclass!
- Working on putting together the 2nd and 3rd movements of the Carter Sonata with Patti (and maybe the 4th too!). Playing the 2nd in studio class on Tuesday.
- Project Runway starts on Wednesday! Unfortunately I'll be out in Beaumont and I'll have to watch the replay at 12 or later...hmmm...hope I'm not too tired!
- I'm playing for both Hilary's and Rachael's recitals...Hilary's preview is this week and Rachael's recital is on Sunday...I'm doing continuo for both, and you all know how amazing I am at continuo...sigh...
- Chamber Orchestra starts for me again on Friday...I'm sitting principal so I need to find time to learn the music! Yikes...
Carter is going really well...Patti and I are aiming to play the entire sonata in the Studio Recital right after Thanksgiving break...we will have the 1st and second movements done by the end of this week...I think we are both having fun with it.
In other good news, I got called to sub with the Symphony of Southeast Texas...I have to cancel some of my teaching but I think its worth it. Hmmm...now I need to double my efforts of finding more work...anybody hiring cellists in the Houston area?
- Headache situation is going better...much better actually...hope that doesn't jinx anything.
- Lots of good news from Tanglewood...I won a prize and I got invited back for next year...now I have a lot of thinking to do...should I go back? They are playing tons of Carter and James Levine is conducting tons of stuff and Renee Fleming is singing in the opera and Emanuel Axe is playing with the orchestra! Hmmm...
- I just bought a Missy Elliot Album...This Is Not A Test!
- Was at home last week for my grandmother's funeral...it was a really nice service and I think she would have loved it. Sigh...
- Jairo won the composition prize in Columbia for the solo cello piece he wrote for me...he got a lot of money and I might be recording it! No details at all yet...so I won't get my hopes up...but they already are..so too late.
- I bought a black tie with tiny gold skulls all over it today.
- I have a ton of work to do on my recital...I'm currently two weeks behind because of all of this stuff that has come up...agh!!!
- Winter break will be kind of amazing...I'm going to Puerto Vallarta with my parents and uncle and then I'm zipping back to Houston in time for Heather to arrive...she is visiting for almost a whole week!
- I'm getting a lot of new students! I added another day of teaching out in Katy and might start teaching in LaPorte any week now...still waiting to hear back from the orchestra director there.