9/14/05

Mononoke

Last night me and Brian watched the end of Princess Mononoke...I had been watching it during meals over a few days, which really stretches it out, and finished the last hour last night. I guess I'm not the hugest fan of anime...although there are sequences that I love: such as Kill Bill Vol. 1, I guess that is used a bit differentally than anime usually is. However, Mononoke seems to be trying to be this huge epic, which it is on some levels, the creatures and battles involved certainly are, but it just doesn't go all the way. It is a fun movie, but fails on some level, it wasn't particualrly engrossing or exciting. And the animation is hardly special and the voice talents are quite terrible (if you ask me)...I think I should have watched it with the original language and subtitles, I might have gotten more out of it. Princess Mononoke (1997)...81% Also last night was the big concert featuring the Ying Quartet and sepcial guests James Dunham and Paul Katz. The concert was totally sold out and they were selling standing room tickets...so me and Mary took a trip to Java's and ditched the Yings playing some Tchaikovsky Quartet. I slipped in at intermission to hear the Souvenir d'Florence, a very exciting pieces played very unexcitingly...it sounded pretty bad if you ask me. Some questinable intonation and in some parts I was even worried that it might fall apart. And I hear that they are going to record it soon! Should be interesting. It has been fun having Dunham and Katz around, I wish we had more special guests come through! I need to practice Schwanter before Musica Nova so I don't sound like a 5 year old trying to play the cello...which definitly happened at the last rehearsal!

No comments: