9/15/05

Lesson good...Liguistics bad

Had a good lesson with Dave today. Me and Tania rehearsed the Rochberg last night, and played it for him today, and while we didn't sound so hot, Dave had so much to say about it. And he also mentioned that Paul Katz liked me...which I totally didn't get from Paul Katz himself...but I still don't think I could get into his studio. But I digress...Dave has been really good lately. I think one of my recent problems (maybe not that recent) is that I assume I can't do anything, so I just don't do it. He has been constantly telling me that I do infact know how to do the things he is asking for...and low and behold...I do (maybe I have learned something in the past three years). But anyway, the Rochberg sounded soo much better after 45 mins of playing it for Dave...and he is really into the piece and says that he wants to play it sometime! Linguistics is scary. Last night I did some of the assigned reading and then flipped to the exercises...and realized that I didn't even know how to form an answer to the questions. I stared at it in fear for a while, then decided to see if there were answers in the back of the book, which there were for a few questions. So after studying that for a while I slowly figured out how to do the rest of it. Which made me a bit happy, that I could actually figure it out. However, today in class, it was as if the teacher was speking in another language...it was a bit scary. All of the U of R students are raising their hands and commenting on everything that the teacher says, and me and Anton are like, "what the hell is going on?" maybe it will get better?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem when I took a linear algebra class. My advice is: hire a tutor. And, do it soon, before you get even a tiny bit behind. Seriously. There are a lot of grad students who would do it. Plus, if you AND anton band together and hire one, the price will be MUCH more reasonable.

Obviously, you may not even need a tutor and you could very likely figure it all out for yourself. I don't know what the situation is. Just from my own experience, if I hadn't hired a tutor I would never have passed my algebra class.

Anonymous said...

i can help you if you need it. i won't charge you either, though chocolate is always appreciated :o) However, i'm sure you're doing better than you think you are.